If you ever wondered what nowadays customers demand from any business products or services, the answer is quite straightforward: convenience, speed, personalization, security, and flawless experience. Yet, mobile applications are the powerful solution for organizations to leverage seamless connectivity with customers and to satisfy their on-the-go needs.
The issue here is that the fast-paced world and the changing customer demands lead to the struggle to stay relevant. If a provider puts their effort into creating a trendy mobile app to be where their customers are, but they don't strive to add value with it, that effort is mostly in vain. This is why mobile app providers should constantly look at their customers’ needs and satisfy them by implementing the latest mobile app trends and the most appropriate solutions.
To help companies explore and adopt technologies to optimize the digital interactions with the consumers, Zitec experts have analyzed various trends that have already emerged in the mobile app space and will continue to become increasingly popular.
Mobile apps - a step forward to enhance CX. Trends to make you reconsider your future priorities
Today, mobile solutions can transform operations and customer loyalty in order to reach innovation and competitive advantage in the fluctuating market. Businesses must understand that a well-featured and interactive mobile app is a major factor to achieve success in the digital environment. Here is why:
- The use of mobile apps is on the rise. In 2021, the number of mobile users worldwide reached 7.1 billion people. According to Statista, this number is anticipated to attain 7.49 billion by 2025. TechCrunch indicates that the app spending will reach $270 billion by 2025. This includes paid downloads, in-app purchases and subscriptions.
- Mobile apps can be considered a strategic business objective, not just a source of entertainment. Leveraging app development and improvements can lead organizations to streamline operations and embrace automation, as well as to enhance their customer experience.
- Users expect the convenience of managing everything online from their mobile devices: work, social media, shopping etc. Facilitating apps that can be accessed anytime and anywhere will ensure high-performing, frictionless customer experiences and retention.
- The multitude of mobile applications has boosted the eCommerce industry, as people access them on a regular basis to shop online. Thus, mobile apps can be a facilitator to reach a wider audience or can expand businesses’ consumer base.
However, in order to take their businesses to the next level, owners must be aware of the emerging mobile trends that could better serve their clients and how these can be applied within their operations. Let’s dive deep into the main mobile app trends shaping the industry in the forthcoming months.
1. IoT (Internet of Things) apps
According to IoT Analytics, the IoT devices market is continuously growing. They forecast that by 2025, there will be an average of 4 devices per person. Hence, so will the related mobile apps as they enable users configuration and control of IoT devices, deliver alerts and notifications, real-time data collection and analytics useful for hyper-personalized user experiences.
- Consumers seek convenience and mobility. Smart devices with apps based on IoT have the potential to facilitate life activities such as making phone calls, sending messages, ordering food or shopping.
- Mobile IoT apps can evaluate and predict behaviors by using the data generated by sensors, voice control or facial recognition. Thus, businesses can bring a more personalized approach by targeting their users based on personal habits and interests.
2. Virtual & augmented reality (VR, AR)
The concepts of VR and AR are growing in popularity because they offer consumers the opportunity to access real-time information in an immersive way. They open new doors to a new phygital experience, meaning the uniqueness of experiencing products before purchasing.
- Applications that integrate AR or VR technologies deliver immersive experiences and generate more app users, as they augment real-world objects with digital graphics and images, bringing together the real and virtual worlds.
- Personalized and engaging experiences for mobile users improve business sales and revenues.
- Another benefit of augmented and virtual reality integration is that companies can analyze consumer behavior. Effective customer targeting leads to an increase in business competitiveness in the market.
- AR and VR demand a powerful mobile network and 5G technology can deliver the necessary. Facilitating app speed, efficiency and usability, reducing the lag time between devices and allowing greater network flexibility and data transfers, 5G technology offers businesses additional options for innovative integration and implementation of VR & AR mobile apps.
Augmented reality (AR) has opened ways to various possibilities: revenue growth, customer engagement, loyalty. It's interesting to see how businesses from more and more industries - such as tourism, automotive, or manufacturing - discover the applications of AR and exponentially begin to integrate it in their mobile apps, whether we talk about mobile solutions for business operations or a consumer app.
Business Developer, Zitec
3. Cross-platform apps
Our mobile developers have noticed a growing interest in cross-platform tech, especially Flutter technology because it offers a similar level of UX and performance to native apps. About 25% of our mobile app division’s recurring projects are developed in Flutter, in industries such as fintech or recycling.
- Cross-platform app development is cost and time efficient, and compatible with various platforms - Android, iOS or Windows.
- These apps have one single source code and a simpler testing process and faster development time.
4. Integrated security methods
Needless to mention that mobile apps store and share more and more personal data, which means that integrated and complex security methods should be top of mind for companies that want to prevent cyber incidents.
- Concerned users about their privacy and the security of their data demand apps that have an extra safety layer. Businesses should focus on integrating measures including encryption to secure data in transit and at rest, authentication methods and data privacy policies.
- Mobile apps can allow sensitive data to be accessed only after the device's biometric methods (fingerprint and facial recognition) are used for decryption.
- More apps rely on security measures like ID verification or two-step authentication.
I firmly believe that the integration of robust security methods is paramount in today's mobile app landscape. Companies must prioritize embedding security measures while developing mobile apps, such as biometric encryption, to effectively safeguard against cyber incidents. At Zitec, we are committed to developing mobile solutions with integrated advanced security features. For example, we have leveraged the blockchain technology for certME, a digital identity application, to ensure secure access to their customers' personal data.
Lead Software Engineer, Mobile Development, Zitec
5. Foldable devices
Optimizing mobile apps for foldable devices will be a trend in focus for companies, considering that 27.6 billion of such devices are predicted to be used by 2025.
- The challenge with foldable displays is the fact that the app must flawlessly adapt to the folded or unfolded display and the screen ratio.
- Prior attention must be paid to both the unfolded screen that should display the app information in full length and the folded screen that should feature the content in a micro-mode style.
6. Super Apps
Super Apps are a massive trend catching on. Their integrated, wide range of functionalities serve multiple purposes and replace many small, stand-alone apps. Thus, users are no longer overwhelmed by the multitude of apps installed on their phones; they have an all-in-one solution.
- Super Apps can offer an all-encompassing customer experience: from chats, social connectivity with friends and family, videos, to bill payment, online purchases and many more - all in one place.
- Snapchat, for instance, is a Super App that enables consumers to send images, communicate in various formats or buy numerous items like movie tickets. In addition, Facebook and Instagram have integrated payment options.
Approximately 3,900 apps are uploaded to App Stores per day, hence the need for development of Super Apps. These are more convenient for any user, as everything can be done in one digital place, rather than in different apps. For example, a mobile banking app can offer additional functionalities, such as buying insurance, automated utility bill payments or parking payments. The bottom line is that understanding how technology trends can improve mobile apps will help businesses meet customer demands while remaining competitive in an ever-changing marketplace.
Mobile Business Line Director, Zitec
7. Beacon tech
Beacon technology provides information based on the consumer's location, as well as opportunities for retail applications in particular. It offers businesses the chance to connect with their customers in an unobtrusive manner.
- Apps with integrated beacon technology enable businesses a better understanding of consumer shopping preferences or patterns, thus supporting them in developing targeted offers, personalized notifications or real-time product recommendations.
- With beacon, businesses have access to data and analytics regarding customer’s needs and expectations. They also enable real-time communication capabilities.
8. Gamification of apps
In order to provide users with more immersive experiences, companies have merged apps and games even in non-gaming fields such as fitness, education and productivity. Gamification is an interactive way to boost user’s interest in completing different challenges or achieving goals. Business owners can offer users virtual rewards or awarding points for different purchases.
- Businesses that offer mobile apps with gamification functionalities differentiate themselves from competitors.
- Gamification can increase user engagement. Game-like elements make mobile apps more enjoyable and can encourage consumers to continue to use the app.
- An app that is appealing for the user can stir retention and loyalty.
The right mobile apps and advanced technologies keep you ahead of user’s demands
Accessible, versatile, and immediate, mobile technology is indispensable and it offers a range of benefits that reshape the way businesses interact with customers. Mobile apps improve business operations and networking capabilities, which translate in both financial gains and strategic upper hand. By leveraging today’s mobile app trends, businesses can achieve cost efficiency, customer loyalty, competitive advantage, or better quality and flexibility of service.
As we have laid ahead the newest trends in mobile app development, studying these insights and deciding what’s the best solution to fit your business and satisfy your clients remains with you. However, as a full-service mobile app development company, our mobile experts have proven knowledge and experience. From project ideation and UX/UI design, to development, maintenance, and support, we build mobile solutions that help you thrive.